We are officially in the last 10 days of the Holy Month of Ramadhan!. Alhamdulillah.
I am having mixed emotions about this. It was just yesterday when we started fasting the month of Ramadhan and now here we are, nearing the end. Not sure whether I will have another opportunity to witness yet again or even fast the holy month. But then again, thankful for the opportunity to witness this month and having come thus far.
The last 10 days are upon us and so we should take advantage of them. It is believed that Laylatul Qadr (the Night of Power) falls in the last 10 days of the holy month of Ramadhan.
Laylatul Qadr (the Night of Power) is described in the Quran as,
“Better than a thousand months”Qur’an (97:3).
Now, this is just not any night, it is the night where all duas are answered if you are found praying. It is the night your ibadah is rewarded like one done for 1000 months, If found being done on this night. It is the night, all sins are forgiven if found doing istigfhar.
The Prophet (PBUH) said:
“Whoever prays during the night of Qadr with faith and hoping for its reward will have all of his previous sins forgiven.”(Bukhari and Muslim recorded from Abu Huraira).
There has been controversy on the “day” the night of power falls.
Salim reported on the authority of his father that a person saw Lailat-ul- Qadr on the 27th (of Ramadan). Thereupon Allah’s Apostle (ﷺ) said: I see that your dreams agree regarding the last ten (nights of Ramadan). So seek it on an odd number (of these ten nights).Sahih Muslim 1165 c Book 13:269
Tips on what to do during the Night of Power
- Take a break. Isn’t it a good thing most countries are under quarantine and thus we have a lot of time on our hands? Why don’t we use this time to do lots and lots of Ibadah during these last 10 days? It’s a great opportunity that needs to be exploited.
- Itkaf. Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) spent lost of time during the last 10 days and nights in the masjid doing Itkaf. He spent lots of his time reciting the Qur’an, doing lots of dhikr, performing sunnah prayers among others. At the moment in our country, we have been stopped from attending religious grounds in order to curb the COVID 19 Pandemic. So it is not possible to do Itkaf in masjid as has been the practice. However, we can have that extra room or space in our homes which can be used as our masjid for Itkaf.
- Recite and reflect on the Qur’an. This is a great time to learn that new Surah you have always wanted to memorise. Also a great time to recite while reflecting on the message of the Qur’an.
- Make lots of dua. We all have that special request we have or wish to ask from Allah. This is the time to make this dua. It was narrated from ‘Aishah that she said:
“O Messenger of Allah, what do you think I should say in my supplication, if I come upon Laylatul-Qadr?” He said: “Say: ‘Allahumma innaka ‘afuwwun tuhibbul-‘afwa, fa’fu ‘anni (O Allah, You are Forgiving and love forgiveness, so forgive me).'”Sahih Ibn Majah
- Do lots of Sadaqa/Charity. If you haven’t done any charity, this is the time to do it. You can give as much or as little as you can afford. It goes a long way. Giving sadaqa/charity is better for us. Let us give so we can get more both on this dunya and the akhira. You could give USD1 or UGX 1000 every single night for the last 10 days. You never know when it can fall on the night of power! It will as if you have made charity for 84 years!
- Read Suratul Ikhlas. Read it three times every single night for the last 10 days. So that if it falls on Laylatul Qadr, it will be as if you read the Qur’an for 84 years!
- Tahajjud/The Night Prayer. Let us make sure we perform this prayer religiously in the last 10 days. You haven’t tried everything, if you have not performed this sunnah prayer that is performed in twos. Sincerely seek out the mercy of Allah in the depth of the night. If Laylatul Qadr finds you in Tahajjud, it will be an equivalent of standing up for prayer in the night for 84years.
- Make a Dua list. Have a list of items you would like to ask for. Remember when making dua, Invoke the name of Allah and praise Him, send salawat to the Prophet (PBUH), do istigfhar, , pray for yourself and then pray for others.
Please note I keep on mentioning the last 10 days, it is better that we focus our energies on all the last 10 days and not only the odd nights. For you never know when the night of power will fall. May Allah accept all our Ibadah. Ameen
Reminder: Please honor your obligation towards Zakatul Fitr. It is a requirement for each and every one of us. Let us pay up before Eid ul Fitr.
May Allah make us amongst those who will be found doing Ibadah on the Night of Power. Ameen
May Allah be pleased with us all!. Ameen